ISIS has claimed responsibility for the Manchester bombing without offering evidence to support the claim, CNNreported Tuesday. According to CNN's U.S. counter-terrorism source, the terrorist organization said a "soldier" carried out the bombing. ISIS has regularly claimed responsibility for attacks with which it has no connection.
Children were among the 22 people killed and 59 injured in the bombing at an Ariana Grande show at Manchester Arena Monday. "We have been treating this as a terrorist incident and we believe that while the attack last night was conducted by one man, the priority is to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network," Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said, according to the Guardian. The attacker reportedly died at the arena.
Early Tuesday, Greater Manchester Police said a 23-year-old man in South Manchester had been arrested in connection with the bombing.
Grande addressed the bombing on Twitter with a brief statement. According toTMZ, Grande's world tour has now been "indefinitely suspended."
"My heart goes out to families who have lost loved ones," Andy Burnham, Greater Manchester mayor, said in a statement. "My admiration to our brave emergency services. A terrible night for our great city."