Ex-Cop Aaron Dean Sentenced to Over 11 Years in Prison Over 2019 Killing of Atatiana Jefferson (UPDATE)

Former Texas police officer Aaron Dean was found guilty of manslaughter in the 2019 killing of Black woman Atatiana Jefferson. He received nearly 12 years.

View this video on YouTube


UPDATED 12/20/22, 6:08 p.m. ET: Aaron Dean was sentenced to 11 years, 10 months, and 12 days in prison over the 2019 killing of Atatiana Jefferson, CNN reports.

Dean, who is 38, was facing up to 20 years behind bars following his manslaughter conviction this past Thursday.

“She was in her home, which should have been the safest place for her to be, and yet turned out to be the most dangerous,” Ashley Carr (sister of Jefferson) said in court on Tuesday while reading a joint statement from herself and her sister, Amber.

See original story below.

Former Texas police officer Aaron Dean has been found guilty of manslaughter in the 2019 killing of Black woman Atatiana Jefferson.

CBS News reports Dean was indicted on murder charges, and jurors ultimately decided on a lesser charge of manslaughter. A verdict was delivered in the case on Thursday, just one day after the judge told jurors that a manslaughter verdict could be considered. Dean will be sentenced at a later date, but is facing a maximum of 20 years in prison.

On Oct. 12, 2019, Dean arrived at the home of Atatiana Jefferson after a call was made about the home’s open front door, which Jefferson’s 11-year-old nephew left open to vent smoke from burned hamburgers. Dean testified that he thought a burglary was happening and went to the backyard. Jefferson’s nephew was only 8 at the time of the incident, but testified that his aunt picked up her handgun because of noises outside. She approached a window with the handgun, and Dean shouted, “Put your hands up, show me your hands.” He fired one shot, killing Jefferson.

Body camera footage showed that Dean did not park near the home, knock on the door, or announce he was police at any time. Prosecutors highlighted that he also failed to give Jefferson enough time to raise her hands, and have accused him of being a “gung-ho, hard-charger” who didn’t even see that Jefferson had a weapon. He quit the force just two days after the shooting, and was arrested hours after his resignation. 

Latest in Life