It looks like Apple caught the Samsung bug, and the symptoms are just as… explosive. A man in Tampa, Florida says one of his Apple AirPods blew up while he was using them at the gym. Fortunately, he wasn’t wearing them at the time.

As WFLA reports, Jason Colon was using his AirPods to listen to dance music during his workout at an LA Fitness. That’s when he noticed the right pod beginning to emit smoke. Yikes! Lucky for Colon, he decided to take the wireless earphones out and set them down on a piece of equipment while he got help. When he returned, the smoking earphone had blown up and was charred. "It was already like this. It was already popped. I didn’t see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried! You can see flame damage,” Colon said. “I don’t know what would’ve happened to my ear. But I’m sure since it hangs down, it could’ve been [my] earlobe. My earlobes could’ve been burnt,” he went on. Ouch.

Apple says they are investigating the situation and has reached out to Colon, who wants to make sure others are aware of the incident. “Just because it happens to me doesn’t mean it won’t happen again,” he said. Personally, I think AirPods are glorified Bluetooth earpieces. I never understood what the hype was about, especially considering how much shade we throw at those who don the former.