Spurs Reportedly Release Joshua Primo for Allegedly Exposing Himself to Women (UPDATE)

The San Antonio Spurs announced that they have opted to exercise Josh Primo’s third year option, waiving the player and securing his $4.3 million deal.

Josh Primo on the basketball court
Getty

Image via Ronald Cortes/Getty

Josh Primo on the basketball court

UPDATED NOV. 17, 7:55 p.m. ET: Hillary Cauthen has agreed to settle her lawsuit with Josh Primo and the San Antonio Spurs.

Details regarding the settlement weren’t disclosed. Her attorney Tony Buzbee released a statement Thursday confirming all parties “agreed to resolve this matter.”

In a statement obtained by Shams Charania of the Athletic and Stadium, Spurs CEO R.C. Buford said the organization will look to “review and improve our workplace processes and procedures” with the help of Cauthen, among other experts.

UPDATED NOV. 3, 12:50 p.m. ET: Former Spurs psychologist Hillary Cauthen has filed a lawsuit against the Spurs and Josh Primo over his alleged indecent exposure, which sources close to the team have denied he did intentionally.

Per The Athletic’s Shams Charania, the former psychologist for the team is suing and has filed a criminal complaint over the reported incidents. She has claimed that he exposed himself to her on nine occasions, starting in December 2021. She has accused the team of failing to take action, and repeatedly “ignored” her reports. 

Per TMZ, a source close to the Spurs has denied that Primo exposed himself and merely had “wardrobe malfunctions” due to his basketball shorts. The shooting guard had been attempting to work through some issues related to his childhood with the psychologist. She is expected to hold a news conference with her attorney Tony Buzbee on Thursday, where they will detail the allegations further.

UPDATED OCT. 29, 8:15 p.m. ET: Adrian Wojnarowski shared a tweet citing sources indicating Primo’s release stemmed from multiple alleged instances of him exposing himself to women.

See original story from 10/28/22 below.

San Antonio has opted to waive 19-year-old Joshua Primo, in a decision that was announced on Friday.

Representatives for the team have released a minimal amount of information behind their decision to exercise the third-year option.

“It is our hope that, in the long run, this decision will serve the best interest of both the organization and Joshua,” Spurs Sports & Entertainment CEO RC Buford said in a statement released by the team.

According to Yahoo Sports, Primo is under contract for $4.1 million next season and $4.3 million in 2023-24.

Primo did not play in Friday’s game against the Chicago Bulls. He was listed as out due to left glute soreness. He was also noticeably absent from the Spur’s game with the Timberwolves, which they lost; ending a three-game winning streak.

A pregame media meeting had Spurs coach Gregg Popovich declining comment on the decision and instead asking the press to refer to the statement released by the team.

Primo, however, released his own statement to ESPN, which was later tweeted.  

“I’ve been seeking help to deal with previous trauma I suffered and will now take this time to focus on mental health treatment more fully.”


Last year when the San Antonio Spurs used their No. 12 overall pick to choose Joshua Primo, he became the youngest player selected in the 2021 draft.

Primo’s stats included an average of 5.8 points, 1.6 assists, and 2.3 rebounds. During the San Antonio Spurs’ first four games of this season, he averaged seven points with 4.5 assists.

“The Alabama alum made his NBA debut vs. Orlando on 10/20/21 and his first start at Philadelphia on 1/7/22. His 18 total starts are the most by a Spurs rookie since 2011-12,” according to a release from NBA.com.

 

Latest in Sports