LaVar Ball has done dozens of interviews over the course of the last few months, and the best ones have featured interviewers going after him and attacking some of the ridiculous claims he’s made about himself, his sons, and his family as a whole. That was the approach Stephen A. Smith took during Ball’s first appearance on ESPN First Take in March, and it made for TV gold.
WFAN radio host Steve Somers took the same approach during Ball’s appearance on his show on Tuesday night, and the results were even better than what we saw on First Take. Somers completely owned Ball at several points in the interview and didn’t hold back at all when it came to confronting Ball about some of the silly things he has said. Ball stuck to the same stories he’s been sticking to during all of his interviews (his son Lonzo is better than Steph Curry, he could beat Michael Jordan in a game of 1-on-1, white players don’t have the same foot speed as black players, blah blah blah). But Somers didn’t hesitate to go right at him over and over again.
You really have to listen to the entire 20-minute interview to get the gist of how Somers was able to dismantle Ball’s various points. (it's well worth your time!) But here are a few of the questions and comments Somers hit Ball with, just to give you a taste of how he decided to approach his interview with one of the most over-the-top personalities in sports today…
- "This is your chance, Mr. Ball, to right now show respect and apologize to [Steph] Curry to [Russell] Westbrook to Michael Jordan and LeBron [James]. The floor is yours, take it away…"
- "Are you really being serious?"
- "Do you think anyone is taking you seriously?"
- "You have to be embarrassing your son making some of the comments you have made."
- "I don’t think any of the players you’re talking about—whether it’s Curry, whether it’s Westbrook, whether it’s LeBron or Michael Jordan—are taking you very seriously. I don’t think many basketball fans are."
- "If I was your son, I would say, 'Pop, you got to stop this.'"
- "Your son has a lot of respect for you, but he’s got to be embarrassed."
- "What do you think your son is saying to his friends?"
- "You are insane, I think."
- "What was that comment you made about the three white guys on UCLA? That UCLA lost the game because your son had this phantom hammy injury and you’re talking about the three white guys on UCLA?"
- "I think you’re trying to be Charles Barkley. He says crazy things like you do."
- "Good luck trying to get a $1 billion shoe deal."
Now that is how you handle an interview with LaVar Ball. You can check out the full interview in the clip above.