UPDATE 1:30 p.m. ET: The death toll has now risen to 120, the Associated Press reports.
UPDATE 10:25 a.m. ET: The death toll from the earthquake is now up to 73 people, according to the Associated Press.
The AP is reporting that Immacolata Postiglione, who heads the emergency response arm of Italy's civil protection agency, gave a briefing on Wednesday with the updated death toll figures and said that all details are still provisional as crews continue rescue efforts. Dozens of people have been rescued from collapsed homes and buildings.
See original story below.
At just after 3:30 a.m. local time on Wednesday morning (9:30 p.m. Tuesday evening Eastern time), a giant magnitude 6.2 earthquake struck central Italy. It was felt throughout the region, including in Rome. The Associated Press is reporting that the epicenter of the quake was a little northeast of Rome, near the province of Rietl.
The town of Amatrice, which is in Rietl, has been devastated. The AP is reporting that the town's mayor Sergio Perozzi has said that many residents are buried and that the town "isn't here anymore." He also said that voices can still be heard underneath the town's rubble.
Shortly after the quake, a magnitude 5.5 aftershock hit the same area.
Photos of the immense damage can be seen below.
CNN is confirming 14 casualties so far. Early estimates as to how many total people may have died are varying wildly.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) has put out an initial statement about the quake's possible impact. According to CNN, they anticipate "significant" casualties. "Overall, the population in this region resides in structures that are a mix of vulnerable and earthquake resistant construction," the agency said.