Ash vs. Evil Dead is, well, dead.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Starz has decided to cancel the comedy-horror series after only a few seasons.
“Ash vs. Evil Dead has taken audiences on a wild ride for three seasons thanks to the fantastic performances and creative efforts of Sam [Raimi], Bruce [Campbell], Rob [Tapert], and the entire cast and crew,” Carmi Zlotnik, Starz’s president of programming, said in a statement. “We are proud to send the show out with a bang … and a splat.”
The announcement means the show’s season three finale, which airs next Sunday, will also serve as the series’ swan song. According to THR, Starz announced the show’s cancelation as it is attempting to rework its approach to original scripted series, which include Power, American Gods, Outlander, Howard's End, and Counterpart, as well as the upcoming Sweetbitter and Vida.
Campbell, who plays the show’s demon-hunting lead character, expressed his gratitude to the network, showrunners, and fans via social media Friday:
“Ash Williams was the role of a lifetime,” he tweeted. “I will always be grateful to Starz, Sam Raimi, Rob Tapert and our tireless fans for the opportunity to revisit the franchise that launched our careers. Thank you!”
Ash vs. Evil Dead premiered on Halloween 2015. The show was a small-screen spin-off of the cult Evil Dead movie franchise that was introduced in 1981. Campbell starred in every Evil Dead installment; the latest of which was 2013’s soft reboot of the original movie.
Shortly before Ash vs. Evil Dead’s season three premiere earlier this year, Entertainment Weekly spoke to Campbell about the possibility of a fifth Evil Dead sequel. The 59-year-old actor said it was a possibility.
“We’re going to see what the TV gods have in store for us,” he said. “We’re ready either way. If they take us off the air, we can think about another movie.”
It looks like there could be a silver lining to the cancelation.
The series finale of Ash vs. Evil Dead will air 9 p.m. April 29 on Starz.