That same year, Astor died during the Titanic disaster, and his son Vincent took over managing the hotel. He ran the establishment until the restrictions of Prohibition forced him to close the main dining room in 1921. During the Depression, Charles Platt was commissioned to renovate the structure into an office building and much of the interior decoration was removed. Only the “Old King Cole” mural by Maxfield Parrish survived, and is now above the bar at the St. Regis.