Over the course of her career, Mariah Carey has been romantically linked to multiple celebrity men. She's been ambiguous about some relationships and completely open about others, but has always vehemently denied any relationship with Eminem. Um, Marshall Mathers disagrees and for the better part of this decade, he's been trying to get her to acknowledge their relationship.
The tension came to a head this week when he released the scathing diss record, "The Warning." While it's the most brutal moment of their conflicts, it's certainly not the first. Keep reading to check out every detail of the long and complicated History Of Eminem And Mariah Carey's Relationship...
2001: The Relationship Begins
• After Eminem met with Mariah to discuss a possible collaboration on her Charmbracelet album, the couple allegedly began dating.
2002: Mariah Turns Up On The Eminem Show
• Marshall mentioned the diva in song twice on his third album. He rapped "What you trying be? My new wife? / What, you Mariah? Fly through twice" on "Superman" and on "When The Music Stops" suggested that he would "beg Mariah to take [him] back" before censoring his lyrics.
2002: Eminem Confirms The Fling
• When asked about the relationship by Rolling Stone, Em answered, "There's truth to that. But on the whole personal level, I'm not really feeling it. I just don't like her as a person."
2002: Mariah Denies Romance Rumors
• MC told Maxim that there was no "sexual relationship" between her and Slim Shady. She later told Larry King: "I hung out with him, I spoke to him on the phone. I think I was probably with him a total of four times. And I don't consider that dating somebody."
2002: Mariah Carey Clowns Slim Shady
• On "Clown" from Charmbracelet, the singer ambiguously addressed the relationship, saying that she "should've left it at I like your music too" and insinuates that the only reason she flew to Eminem's house is because "taking [her] G5 twenty minutes wasn't nothing."
2003: The Diva Takes The Beef To The Stage
• Mariah's 2003 tour included a The Marionette Show set that parodied The Eminem Show. While performing the aforementioned "Clown" a female dancer was brought on stage sporting a blonde wig and a Detroit Pistons jersey. She never said, "no shots" so it's clear who the target was.
2005: Eminem Responds On His Own Tour
• During the Anger Management tour, Eminem played voicemail messages allegedly from Mariah with her saying "Why won't you see me? Why won't you call me?" amongst other longing statements. One of Mariah's friends told the press that an "impostor" had recorded the messages.
2006: Marshall Mentions Mimi In Song Again
• Refusing to let the issue die, Slim talked about sexing the singer on "Jimmy Crack Corn" from the Re-Up album. "Your mind's on us like mine's on Mariah / And y'all are just like her, you're all fucking liars / But I'll just keep fucking you like I fucked her / Right in the ass with KY yes sir."
2006: Em Lashes Out On The Radio
• While visiting his Shade 45 satellite radio station to promote The Re-Up, Em continued to address his relationship with Mariah. In between calling her a "bitch" and "cunt" he admitted that they "did have a relationship for about a good six, seven months." He cited their personalities differences as the demise of the relationship and even complimented her talent, but was bothered by "the fact that she denied [they] ever had something."
2007: Curtis Co-Signs Marshall
• On "All Of Me" from his Curtis album, 50 Cent spit: "Em predicted it all, I don't know how he knew it / He said women from Hollywood they liars, liars, liars / You fuck them, they get you heated, deny it like Mariah."
2009: Eminem Drops A Bomb On The Newlyweds
• After two years of silence, Mariah's marriage to Nick Cannon set the rapper off and inspired Relapse's "Bagpipes From Baghdad" where he calls Nick Cannon a "prick" and wishes him "luck with the fucking whore" amongst other insults. The song led to a lengthy blog post from Nick Cannon where he defended his wife, claimed Eminem never got to "second base," and called him racist.
2009: Mimi Thinks Marshall Is Obsessed
• "Obsessed", the first single from MC's upcoming album, Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel, seems to be a clear shot at Eminem, despite her and her husband's denial of any beef. Mariah's decision to portray a stalker in a very Eminem-like outfit for the music video makes it even harder to take the claims seriously.
2009: Eminem Ethers Mariah Carey
• Taking offense to "Obsessed" and Mariah's constant denial of any previous romantic involvement, Eminem released this scathing diss track aimed at Mariah and her husband yesterday. He goes into graphic detail about their one sexual encounter and threatens to release incriminating pictures and audio confirming their relationship.