The Metropolitan Police have issued a warning over synthetic cannabinoid ‘gummies’ being missold as cannabis edibles after a 23-year-old woman died after eating them.

The woman, who has been named Damilola Olakanmi (pictured), had ordered the sweets—which were delivered in a package marked ‘Trrlli Peachie O’s’—via a messaging app on her phone and had them delivered to her home in South Park Drive, Ilford, on March 29.

She ate the sweets with a friend, which they thought were cannabis edibles but instead turned out to be what’s known as Spice. The pair soon fell seriously ill and were rushed to hospital in East London. Although the friend survived, Damilola ultimately passed away on Saturday, April 2. 

It has now been revealed that a man has been charged with intent to supply Class B synthetic cannabinoid, being concerned in the supply of a synthetic cannabinoid, and possession with intent to supply a psychoactive substance. Police reportedly found “a large quantity of cash and what they believed to be edible cannabis products”. They also suspect the incident could be related to a woman being hospitalised in March after eating a cannabis sweet in Tower Hamlets, East London.

Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell, of the Met’s East Area Basic Command Unit, issued the following warning: “Please do not buy or consume these products. They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption. The particular batch of sweets were contained in packaging featuring Trrlli Peachie O’s branding. It has not been confirmed at this stage where the sweets were manufactured.”

He added: “Drug dealers harm communities and risk the safety of individuals. We will take positive action to target those engaged in this activity as well as those found in possession of these substances.”