Born in Cleveland in 1906, Philip Johnson was one of the most notable and influence, modernist architects of his era, designing some of America’s greatest modern landmarks. In 1943, he graduated Harvard Graduate School of Design, after which he worked with Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. Before becoming an architect, Philip Johnson was the founding director of MoMA’s department of architecture, where he produced his landmark exhibition, “The International Style,” in 1932. In 1978, Johnson won the AIA Gold Medal for his architectural work. In addition to his most notable work, his private residence in New Canaan, Conn., The Glass House, Johnson also designed the Lipstick Building and the Seagram Suilding, both in New York City.