Church of the Savior on Blood
Location: St. Petersburg, Russia
Architect: Alfred Alexandrovich Parland
Year Completed: 1907
The "blood" of the most common name, Church of the Savior, refers to the murder of Tsar Alexander II on the site as well as the blood of Jesus Christ. The church has a turbulent history—in the early 1930s, the Soviet government closed the church due to interior damage from looters, and during World War II, the church was used as a warehouse for vegetables.