During a recent dinner in central London for his charity Sentebale, Prince Harry addressed the decision made by himself and his wife Meghan Markle to "step back" from the Royal Family.

"It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven’t always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option," Harry said, per Variety. "What I want to make clear is we’re not walking away, and we certainly aren’t walking away from you." 

In their announcement earlier this month, Harry and Markle revealed that there were "many months of reflection and internal discussions" before the couple came forward with their plans. Harry admitted that those conversations included negotiations that would hopefully allow to continue certain Royal obligations, but the two sides couldn't come to an agreement. "Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding. Unfortunately, that wasn’t possible," he said. "I've accepted this, knowing that it doesn’t change who I am or how committed I am."

"I will always have the utmost respect for my grandmother, my commander in chief, and I am incredibly grateful to her and the rest of my family, for the support they have shown Meghan and I over the last few months," he said. "I will continue to be the same man who holds his country dear and dedicates his life to supporting the causes, charities and military communities that are so important to me."

In her official statement, Queen Elizabeth II acknowledged the desire of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to seek a "more independent life," which Harry touched upon in his recent remarks when explaining that he hoped that their departure from the Royal Family could lead to "a more peaceful life." 

"This role has taught me more about what is right and just than I could have ever imagined," Harry said. "We are taking a leap of faith – thank you for giving me the courage to take this next step."

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

at tonight’s dinner for supporters of Sentebale in London Video © SussexRoyal

A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on Jan 19, 2020 at 2:00pm PST