An Alabama woman’s distaste for packaged ham has resulted in an arrest and a possible life sentence.
According to AL.com, 62-year-old Beverly Harrison was booked on felony arson charges last week after she allegedly started a fire in her motel room back in February. Harrison reportedly caused the blaze after she lit up an unwanted ham and tossed it into a trashcan located inside her room.
“Investigators learned family had brought Harrison a pack of ham to eat and she didn't want the ham,” police Chief Floyd Johnson told AL.com. “After (the family) left, she set the ham on fire and put it in the garbage can.”
Harrison reportedly fled the room along with her dog after it began to fill up with smoke. Authorities said the woman failed to inform anyone about the fire, which ultimately caused a can of butane fuel to explode after she left. No injuries were reported.
AL.com reports Harrison was living at the Bomar Inn in Athens, Alabama, at the time she lit the ham on fire.
Harrison was transferred to Limestone County Jail on Saturday with no bail set, authorities said. If convicted, the woman could face up to life in prison.