The 9 Pettiest Moments From the Pettiest Presidential Debate Ever
Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump faced off in the second presidential debate—and it was petty AF.
Blank pixel used during image takedowns
If you thought Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton's first showdown was highly anticipated, Sunday night's presidential debate—the most tweeted in history—nearly broke the internet.
On Friday, a 2005 recording of Trump surfaced that included sexist comments about women like, "When you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything. Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything.” The billionaire's remarks erupted in controversy, causing further divides in the Republican party and making Saturday the "second most-Tweeted day of the entire election, just behind the first Presidential debate," according to a Twitter spokesperson.
As both major parties struggle to stay united in what feels like the most contentious election season in history, millions tuned in to the second presidential debate. We expected quite a show, but we didn't expect: The Pettiest Debate Ever. Here are its best, worst, and most memorable instances of pure pettiness:
1. When the candidates didn't shake each other's hands at the start of the debate.
Opponents @realDonaldTrump and @HillaryClinton take the stage for the second debate, do not shake one another's hand https://t.co/8f4rNPuouk
2. When Trump invited Bill Clinton's accusers of sexual assault to a pre-debate panel, and then as (front row) guests of the debate.
Bill's accusers include Paula Jones, who Trump called "a loser" in 1998.
Donald Trump introduces women in the #debate audience who accuse Bill Clinton of sexual assault while Hillary Clinton looks on. pic.twitter.com/O7QZW8mFkL
3. When Trump said that if he were president, he'd "get a special prosecutor" to go after Clinton.
So despite the FBI Director recommending no charges against Clinton, Trump admitted that if he were the leader of the free world, he'd continue his personal vendetta to put Clinton in jail over her email scandal.
Trump said he would appoint a special prosecutor to investigate Clinton https://t.co/IjIt0InUgx #debate https://t.co/dFMLNuEFyi
4. When Trump dismissed his running mate.
Moderators brought up that Trump's VP Mike Pence had suggested U.S. military strikes in the country. Trump responded, "He and I haven't spoken and we don't agree."
"He and I haven't spoken, and I disagree." —Trump utterly dismisses his running-mate, Mike Pence, in a single sentence.
5. When Trump denied that he ever said "check out sex tape" about former Miss Universe Alicia Machado.
“I never said 'check out sex tape'” - Trump at tonight's #debate https://t.co/BUqKFJQUSi
6. When Clinton said it's good someone like Trump "isn't in charge of the law," he quipped, "Because you'd be in jail."
7. When Trump said that Clinton was an ineffective senator.
(He has never held a public office.)
Trump: "If you were an effective Senator, you could have done it.” Clinton: "Under our Constitution, Presidents have veto power." #debate
8. When Trump called himself a gentleman.
Before answering a question during the #debate, Trump told Clinton: “I’m a gentleman. Hillary, go ahead.” https://t.co/qRXZre25pV
9. When Clinton said the best thing about Trump is his kids.
Asked to name something positive about one other, Clinton says "his children"; Trump says "she's a fighter" #debate https://t.co/Rmx8kXRW6E