In just a few short weeks, the PC, XBLA, and PSN versions of Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 will be expanding in a major way. The first major expansion pack for the game, entitled Ascend into Darkness” will be launching on September 14, 2011.
The contents of the package aren’t just a simple addition as I am sure that any true Magic the Gathering fan will tell you. Players who purchase the content package (price to be determined) can look forward to the following additions to the hit game:
- new playable deck in the form of Liliana Vess’s “Grave Whispers”
- new playable deck in the form of Ajani Goldmane’s “Auramancer”
- exclusive new planeswalker added to the game: Ral Zarek
- new playable deck in the form of Ral Zarek’s “Cloudburst”
- inclusion of 6 new cards from the upcoming Innistrad expansion which will launch for the real CCG on September 30, 2011
- ability for players to assume the role of Archenemy in the Archenemy game type in both single and mutliplayer
- 6 additional single player campaign levels
- 11 additional Archenemy campaign levels
- 4 new Archenemy challenge levels
- 4 additional card unlocks add to all of the decks in the game, both old and new
- new achievements and trophies
- new loading screens featuring new and exclusive art
Die hard Magic fans will not have to wait until September 19 to check out the new content as it will be making it’s public debut this coming week at PAX Prime. Wizards of the Coast will have a Magic the Gathering booth set up at the event and will have kiosks with the expansion available during the show, from August 25—28. If you happen to be attending the show next weekend, be sure to stop by and check it out.