Maybe Floyd Mayweather, Jr. really is serious about fighting Manny Pacquiao this year. Although we now know that Pacman has been looking into booking a match against a different fighter in June, it seems Mayweather and Pacquiao may be trying to come to some sort of agreement by cutting out all of the middle men who are involved in trying to arrange the fight between them—and, believe us, there are plenty of middle men involved—and speaking directly to get a deal done. According to Mayweather's advisor Leonard Ellerbe, the two spoke on the phone earlier this week—and both sides still seem very open to making a fight happen.

"I can't say what exactly was said," Ellerbe said yesterday. "But Floyd wants to fight Manny Pacquiao on May 5 and he went as far as to reach out to Manny Pacquiao personally [Wednesday] night. Floyd has shown more than a willingness to get this fight done and this is really, really what he wants to do and what he wants to give to the fight fans."

For his part, Pacquio also confirmed that the call took place during an interview with a Filipino television network. He said that he and Mayweather discussed the fight during their call as well as the purse for the fight. He also reiterated that he wants to make the match a 50/50 venture with both sides making the same amount of money for the fight.

So, does this mean we're any closer to the fight actually happening? Or, is this just gamesmanship on the part of both fighters? Guess we'll see soon.

[via ESPN]