Authorities have confirmed that the two deaths at the Electric Zoo festival last month were caused by overdoses of MDMA, or "Molly." Both 23-year-old Jeffrey Russ and 20-year-old Olivia Rotondo died after taking fatal doses of the drug, but the New York City Medical Examiner's Office added that methylone, which has similar effects as MDMA, was also found in Russ' system.

According to Gothamist, the medical examiner said that Russ' death was a result of "acute intoxication by the combined effects of methylenedioxymethamphetimine (MDMA) and methylone with hyperthermia." Rotondo's death, on the other hand, was due to "acute intoxication by the combined effects of methylenedioxymethamphetimine (MDMA) with hypothermia."

Last week, health officials suspected that a poisonous batch of the drug was responsible for the deaths, as well as several others in the Northeast region.

[via Gothamist]

RELATED: It's Not EDM's Fault: An Honest Look at Dance Music's Relationship With Drugs
RELATED: Do Androids Dance? - The Best Festivals in the Worlds