Game-centric social network Raptr announced their "Most Played Games of the Year" awards for 2011. Rather than simply picking their fave games, the service catalogs achievement and other user data by syncing with users' Xbox Live accounts and PCs, handing out awards to the games that the community have spent the most time with. Due to privacy restrictions Raptr's data can't use data from the PS3 or Wii. Raptr's user base spans over 10 million players, according to the site.
In addition to the straight-up most played game, Raptr also highlighted the most popular games in many specific genres. Here are some the winners:
· Most Played Game – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks)
· Most Played Shooter – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Activision)
· Most Played RPG – The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks)
· Most Played Open-World Game – Batman: Arkham City (Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment)
· Most Played Sports Game – FIFA Soccer 12 (EA Sports)
· Most Played Social Game – The Sims Social (EA Play)
· Most Played New IP – L.A. Noire (Rockstar)
· Most Successful Paid to Free-to-Play Game – DC Universe Online (Sony Online Entertainment)
In addition to that, Raptr found a few interesting pieces of info in their numbers. 'Turns out that Raptr gamers logged in more than twice as many hours playing Modern Warfare 3 in its first month than they did for Battlefield 3 in its first. That doesn't seem to rediculous though, considering MW3 sold more copies on day one than than BF3 did in its first week.
If you want the full details on how these games were picked, hard statistics, and some more fun facts, you should check out Raptr's full year-end report here.
Are there any games you thought would (or should) be there? Let us know what you think in the comments.