Year Company Founded: 1937
Year Logo Introduced: 1934
Logo Designer: Undisclosed
Company Founders: Takeshi Mitarai, Goro Yoshida, Saburo Uchida, Takeo Maeda
The original logo for the Japanese camera company, Seiki Kogaku Kenyudho, was a rendering of the Buddhist goddess of mercy, Kannon, that was then simplified to a stylized text for the name of their first camera, Kwanon. After commercial success in 1935, the company began full-scale production and changed the brand name to Canon and decided to create a more modern logo. In 1956, the logo was redesigned to the one we all know today.