We adore Aston Martin, but the company needs help. As an independent automaker, it doesn't have the ability to borrow technology from elsewhere without signing a complicated deal with another company. Recently, that company has been Mercedes AMG, which has agreed to supply custom V8 engines to Aston for the next generation of Vantages.

Mercedes currently owns 5% of Aston Martin, and the rumor mill has been spinning with the idea that ze Germans might decide to buy the remaining 95%. Mercedes chief Dr. Dieter Zetsche has been downplaying the rumors with statements like, “This is a fantastic brand, and we are willing to support its further development.” This of course, doesn't mean he isn't hoping to buy out the British legend. 

RELATEDTest Drive: The 2015 Aston Martin V12 Vantage S Is Exactly As Much Fun As You Think
RELATEDTest Drive: The Aston Martin Rapide S Seeks Aristotle's Golden Mean

[via Autocar