Staged or not, when Eminem's face met Bruno's ass at last night's MTV Movie Awards, it was hardly the first time that Marshall Mathers has caused an awards-show stir. If you're not familiar with the rapper's headline-making history at ceremonies through the years, take a look back his 5 most memorable award-show moments...
"THE REAL SLIM SHADY" PERFORMANCE AT THE MTV VMAs (2000)
• In 2000, after selling a record-breaking 1.76 million units of The Marshall Mathers LP in its first week and scoring a top 5 hit with "The Real Slim Shady" earlier that year, Eminem invaded Radio City Music Hall with an army of blonde white-T-wearing clones. The key moment is when Slim Shady gives Carson Daly a dap and leaves Fred Durst hanging as he recites lyrics about them sharing Christina Aguilera. "Thought-we-were-cool"? FAIL.
"STAN" PERFORMANCE WITH ELTON JOHN AT THE 43RD GRAMMY AWARDS (2001)
• Immediately after word spread that The Marshall Mathers LP was nominated for four Grammys, including Album of the Year, GLAAD activists predictably lashed out. Eminem faced protests for his homophobic lyrics, but in a brilliant counter, managed to secure a collaboration with Sir Elton John. The duo performed "Stan," a song with somewhat anti-gay content of its own, and made Grammy history in the process.
EM FEUDS WITH TRIUMPH THE INSULT COMIC DOG AT THE MTV VMAs (2002)
• No stranger to celebrity feuds, Eminem took it to the next level when he began beefing with puppets at the 2002 VMAs. Conan O'Brien's notorious jokester, Triumph The Insult Comic Dog, was already harassing Moby about his beef with Eminem when Triumph decided to approach Em himself. Slim Shady and his posse didn't respond too well. At the same show Eminem took shots at Moby when he accepted the award for "Best Male Video" by announcing to the world that he would "hit a man with glasses." Ouch.
INDUCTING RUN-DMC INTO THE ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME (2009)
• After several years out of the spotlight, Eminem publicly marked the end of his hiatus with this speech at the 2009 induction ceremony for the Rock & Roll HOF. Em nailed the speech, and it set the table for his comeback.
GETTING A FACE FULL OF SACHA BARON COHEN'S ASS AT THE MTV VMAs (2009)
• Well, if you haven't seen it, here it is.