An Idaho man says he lost approximately seven teeth when a vape pen blew up inside his mouth. Andrew Hall was at his Pocatello home when his vaping mechanism "exploded without warning," the Daily Mail reported Monday. In addition to the loss of multiple teeth, Hall was reportedly left with second degree burns on his cheek.
"Yesterday morning I was getting ready for work when I had something happen to me that I didn't expect possible," Hall wrote on Facebook Saturday. "I'm currently in the ICU and doing well so rest assured and these are very graphic photos. I Vape (I know, terrible and uncool) but I no longer do and I hope to possible sway those that do to maybe reevaluate or find other methods of smoking [sic]." Hall shared photos from the day of the alleged incident, excerpted below. (WARNING: These photos are, as dude clearly stated above, pretty graphic.)
On Tuesday, Hall thanked those "around the world" for sending him good vibes after his story of an exploding vape went viral and shared a photo showing the early stages of his recovery process.
Claims of exploding vapes and vape-related accessories have become, fairly or not, commonplace in recent years. Last November, for example, a wine store employee in New York City was reportedly left with third-degree burns after an e-cig exploded in his pants.
But that's not all: The U.S. Fire Administration, as CBS News reported last November, now estimates that "more than two dozen" explosion incidents were potentially caused by vapes between 2009 and 2014.
Hall did not immediately respond to Complex's request for comment.