“Anything you can do, I can do better.”
It seems as if we always here about certain games only being available on the XBLA, but we are about to start hearing the other side of the story as well. Even though you don’t hear a lot about it, Sony’s PlayStation Network has its own share of exclusive titles. Sony has announced a new marketing initiative entitled “Only on PSN” and it kicks off this month.
For the entire month, Sony is releasing an extended lineup of titles that will be exclusive to their digital service; you won’t find them on any of the other online services on other consoles or your PC. Gamers who spend more than $60 or more on these various titles will receive a $10 credit in November to thank them for their loyalty. Also, PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive 20% discounts on all of the games during their first week of availability.
That sounds good, but let’s hear about the important part of the announcement: the games. Sony has lined up a slew of titles that will roll out beginning today. Titles featured in the new promotion include (with release dates):
- Eufloria, October 4, 2011: “An addictive ambient game of space exploration and conquest, plant growth and bio-mechanical evolution. Explore a beautifully realized universe rendered in a style that is unique and compelling. Conquer asteroids in deep space and use their resources to literally grow and nurture semi-organic plants and creatures to do your bidding.”
- inFAMOUS- Festival of Blood, October 25, 2011: “Vampires swarm New Marais, and revered superhero Cole MacGrath has been bitten. To save his soul and city, he has just one night to find and kill the head vampire. Featuring hours of new gameplay, themed environment settings and new characters/enemies, Festival of Blood explores the darker side of the inFAMOUS universe.”
- Okabu, October 18, 2011: “An action-puzzler, where players will guide Kumulo, Nimbe and four cloud-flying heroes as they battle to save their people and their world from the industrialized threat of the Doza. Dive into a hyper-tactile toybox world filled with a huge number of puzzles, playthings, adorable creatures and devious machines spread across an epic co-op campaign.”
- PixelJunk Sidescroller, October 25, 2011: “”Q-Games goes old-school with a completely retro side-scrolling shooter that reinvents the genre from the ground up while maintaining that nostalgic feeling. Dodge flurries of alien bullets and strategically upgrade weapons while battling through sweeping stages full of hazardous fluid and endless shooting mayhem.”
- Rochard, October 4, 2011: “A fun and original space adventure game that features a resourceful hero, ominous villains, rugged machinery, big explosions, even bigger stunts and sharp one-liners. The game tests players’ coordination and wits as they use gravity to their advantage, changing it at will to solve environmental puzzles and advance through each level.”
- Rocketbirds- Hardboiled Chicken, October 18, 2011: “Annihilate an evil penguin regime in this cinematic platform adventure game offering full solo and co-op campaigns with stereoscopic 3D support. Destroy enemies with a slew of weapons and illuminate the secrets to his past while uncovering the real enemies of Albatropolis.”
- Sideway-New York, October 11, 2011: “Help defeat Spray, a sinister tagger who wants to dominate both Sideway and the real world in this unique sidescroller that offers you the chance to leave your mark on the city.”
- Sodium Collection, October 13, 2011: “A more than $35 value available for $9.99, this PlayStation Home value pack includes the SodiumOne Pilot’s Jacket, which unlocks the full 50-level tank combat Salt Shooter game, and weapon upgrades for your SodiumOne tank. Also included is a variety of upgrades for Sodium 2: Project Velocity, a high-speed, free-to-play, futuristic multiplayer racing game exclusive to PlayStation Home, and the wildly-popular Blaster’s Paradise personal space, which hosts a tabletop version of Salt Shooter. Buy from the PlayStation Store and play in PlayStation Home.”
The Only on PSN promotion is also bringing a variety of classic PS2 titles to the PSN as well, including God Hand, GrimGrimoire, Maximo: Ghosts to Glory, Odin Sphere and Ring of Red. Most of these are hard-to-find games in the second-hand market.