With her killer style and throwback pop vibes that garnered comparisons to Britney Spears, Los Angeles singer LIZ began generating serious attention last year as soon as she released her first single, "XTC," on Mad Decent's Jeffree's imprint. Her EP, Just Like You, is out later today, and it finds her experimenting with a range of sounds that expand on that initial early-aughts-retro palette with influences from genres like Bmore club and UK garage.
"Don't Say," produced by Djemba Djemba, Colta and M. Parvizi, pushes LIZ into the realm of slinky, synthetic R&B, calling to mind a lovelorn take on Cassie's "Me & U." Wistful but still upbeat and reflective, "Don't Say" could fit in anywhere from a Top 40 radio playlist to a mixtape full of the saddest Drake songs. Tyga shares two short verses that add some vivid imagery: "had a condo for your puppy and the two of us/two young kids in lust."
Listen to the song below, and check out the artwork and tracklist for Just Like You, out later today as a free release:
Just Like You tracklist:
1. Y2K (Prod. by Lido)
2. Say U Would (Prod. by C.Z.)
3. All Them Boys (Prod. by Mr. Carmack & Colta)
4. Don’t Say (feat. Tyga) [Prod. by Djemba Djemba, Colta & Papi]
5. Do I Like U (Prod. by Yung Oji and r.i.c. volta)
6. Stop Me Cold (Prod. by The Picard Bros. & Djemba Djemba)
7. Turn Around (Prod. by WEEP)