There are some police cases that are open and shut. But there are others where the stories provided by both sides are so different that it's hard to know what really happened. And a new case from Tennessee seems to fall into the latter category.

According to The Tennessean, Katie Layne Quackenbush, 26, has been accused of allegedly shooting Gerald Melton, 54, in the abdomen on August 26. He remains at Vanderbilt University Medical Center with critical injuries. Meanwhile, Quackenbush, who is a single mother of a 5-year-old boy, has been charged with attempted murder. But she is claiming she didn't shoot Melton for the reasons police say she did.

According to a press release put out by local police, Melton is homeless and was "trying to sleep on the sidewalk" next to Quackenbush’s Porsche SUV at around 3 a.m. on August 26. Melton reportedly "became disturbed by exhaust fumes and loud music" coming from the Porsche and asked Quackenbush to move her car. This led to a brief argument before Melton eventually returned to where he had been trying to fall asleep. However, police believe that, a short time later, Quackenbush grabbed a gun out of her SUV, followed Melton, continued arguing with him, and then shot him twice. Melton told police she then got back into her vehicle and drove away.

Quackenbush's recollection of the night is question is much different. According to her father Jesse Quackenbush, she had reportedly witnessed Melton harassing other women nearby as she and her friends were making their way back to her SUV.  Quackenbush's father claims Melton then confronted Quackenbush and her friends once they got into the vehicle and threatened to kill them. And when Quackenbush got out of the vehicle to escort one of her friends to her car, Quackenbush's father claims Melton approached her and threatened her. Quackenbush reportedly responded by telling Melton she was going to fire two warning shots if he didn't leave her alone before pulling the trigger and striking him twice.

"She did say she closed her eyes when she shot both times, but they were warnings, and she thought she pointed away from him," Quakenbush's father told The Tennesseean. "She didn’t try to kill this guy. She had no intention of killing him. She didn’t know she hit him."

An investigation into the incident is still ongoing.