On Thursday, the trial of Michael Dunn began in Florida. Dunn stands accused of fatally shooting 17-year-old Jordan Davis at a Jacksonville gas station during a dispute about loud music in November 2012. 

On Nov. 23, 2012, Davis and his three friendsTevin ThompsonLeland Brunson and Tommie Stornes—stopped at the gas station to purchase cigarettes and gum. They sat there, playing loud music from a red Dodge Durango, when they got into a confrontation with the 47-year-old Dunn.

Following an intense argument, Dunn fired six shots into the vehicle, three of which struck Davis in his liver and aorta. He was later pronounced dead at a local hospital.

According to Headline News, Dunn's girlfriend, Rhonda Rouer took the stand yesterday. Rouer told the court that she and Dunn had pulled into the gas station parking lot after leaving the wedding of Dunn's son.

They parked next to the Durango which was reportedly blasting loud rap music, and Rouer testified that Dunn told her "I hate that thug music" before getting out of the vehicle and entering the gas station for a bottle of wine and bag of potato chips. 

Rouer said that moments later, she heard six gun shots. She also testified that she watched Dunn put a black gun in the vehicle's glove compartment after telling her to get inside. 

She and Dunn returned to their hotel, where Dunn ordered a pizza and made them rum and cokes. During her testimony, she revealed that she saw television reports of the shooting the following morning and told Dunn that she wanted to go home immediately, despite their plans. Dunn was arrested upon their return.

While Dunn has admitted to shooting Davis, he maintains that it was in self-defense. He told police that he saw what he thought was either a stick, or the barrel of a shotgun in the teens' vehicle. Det. Andrew Kipple testified that no weapons were found inside of the Durango. 

Dunn's attorney, Cory Strolla, is arguing that his client is innocent under Florida's highly-controversial "Stand Your Ground" law. He alleges that the teens had time to possibly dispose of a weapon, and criticized law enforcement for not searching bushes or dumpsters in the area until four days after the shooting occurred. Davis' friends say that they drove from the gas station to a parking lot to check on Davis, then returned in seek of help.

Dunn has pleaded not guilty to charges of first-degree murder, as well as three counts of attempted murder for the three other teens in the vehicle. If convicted, he could face life in prison.

[via HLNtv]