After a long and painful wait, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is now available worldwide on PlayStation 3 and PC. The MMORPG will run PC gamers $39.99 and PS3 users $29.99 with monthly subscriptions starting at $12.99. Versions for PlayStation 4 will be available after it releases in November. The game is set five years after the realm of Eorzea was ravaged by the unleashing of the Bahamut in the original Final Fantasy XIV.
“We are extremely proud of all the work and effort spent creating Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, and I hope that both new and old players enjoy this Final Fantasy experience,” said producer and director Naoki Yoshida. “We look forward to supporting this title for many years to come, always listening to the community and delivering rich content updates and new stories that our fans deserve.”
Sqaure Enix outlined some of the game's key features, not the least of which being that it will recieve content updates every three months:
- All the hallmarks of the Final Fantasy franchise, including genre-leading graphics and real-time cut scenes, beautiful music, and an immersive story experience
- Band together with your friends to create guild-like “Free Companies” to take on the game’s story-driven adventures
- High level detail and quality of graphics on both the PlayStation®3 system and Windows PC through the new graphics engine
- Flexible class system that allows players to change to any of the 19 different classes on the fly by simply changing their equipped weapon or tool. Players can also unlock 9 different jobs as they advance in level.
- New takes on classic Final Fantasy elements like the “Materia” and “Limit Break” systems that originally appeared in Final Fantasy VII
- Varied options available for leveling and growing the player’s character − including class quests, main story quests, quick-action “Guildleves and Guildhests” that act as events players can tackle alone or with friends, and exciting “Instanced Dungeons” to raid in search of vast treasures
- Full Active Time Events (FATEs) − unique events that allow for dynamic open world battles and adventures with other players
- Personal companion chocobos for players to ride and fight alongside in battle
The Game will also features a free companion app, Final Fantasy XIV: Libra Eorzea, that will soon be available in the iOS App Store and later in the Android Marketplace that will allow users to view their created characters, friend's information and access to in-game databases.