By the late 1890’s it was clear that the club was outgrowing its then current home in Rose Hill. Club member Charles McKim, a graduate of Harvard, and a partner of the most prestigious architecture firm of the time was asked to draw plans for the new clubhouse. After acquiring the land of the former St Luke’s Hospital site on Fifth Avenue, the club proceeded with its expansion plans.