Remember Sound Shapes? It's an artistic PS3 and PS Vita game in which talented designers created levels based on songs by artists like Deadmau5 and Beck. And it's one of the best games of the year.
Sony just announced several bits of exciting news for Sound Shapes fans, including that four DLC packs just hit the PSN store and the new in-game Sound Shapes Music Store. The
- Acoustic Sound Pack ($0.99)
- Bring some clean analog tones to your game with five new acoustic instruments. Strum and pick a masterpiece with the guitars, dance across the ivories on the piano or thumb the unique sounds of the kalimba.
- Drum Kits Sound Pack ($0.99)
- This pack is all about rhythm. Snares, hi-hats, toms, and more let you groove to everything from a cool jazz backdrop to a driving rock beat. There’s even an electronic kit for some 80′s hip-hop style jams if that’s more your style.
- 8-Bit Sound Pack ($0.99)
- Compose in the key of chiptune with bleeps, bloops, and other classic game sounds. It’s more than just chiptunes as you’ll get modern electronic synths, bass lines, and loops too. A variety packed pack for sure!
- Curved Terrain Pack (free download)
- This one’s for the platforming fans out there. Bend, stretch and shape curves to add smooth surfaces to your smooth beats. Many of you have been waiting for this, and it’s free today. (It’s also key for some future DLC, but we’ll keep that a surprise for now.)
In addition, Sony announced a new community feature called The Milkcrate, where user-created Sound Shapes levels will be curated into themed collections starting this month. There will even be some themed albums curated by "game developers, music composers and other notable fans of the game" starting next year.
And finally, two more things: new vehicles will arrive in DLC next year, and Queasy Games has a surprise arriving before the end of 2012. Obviously we'll know more about that soon.