Location: Valparaiso, Ind.
Year Built: Old Campus: 1859, New Campus: 1950s
Key Architects: Various, including: Sasaki Associates, Inc (New Campus)
While the Old Campus at Valparaiso was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976, the new developments, which look more like a suburban office park than a haven for learning, don't live up to the original architecture. Built in the 1950s, the New Campus houses nine dorms, the majority of the academic buildings, as well as a glaring chapel that is somewhat of an eyesore. The lack of a traditional university layout equates to no quads, no commons, and no defined center. This also leads to a lack of cohesiveness and community for the student body. In a strange turn of events, the Ku Klux Klan assembled a bid to purchase the university in 1923. Thankfully they were unsuccessful.