Secure your spot while tickets last!
Darrelle Revis’ career has spiraled downward rapidly. Just a couple short years ago, he was in contention for the title of best defensive back in the NFL. In 2015, he signed a groundbreaking five-year, $70 million deal with the Jets.
Now, the Jets are trying like crazy to get out of it. They probably would’ve considered releasing Revis no matter what this offseason (he was simply bad last year), but he made their decision easy this week.
On Monday, Revis was arrested for involvement in a brawl in Pittsburgh that left two men knocked out.TMZ published dispatch audio from the incident.
Revis has been charged with four felonies and a misdemeanor. The Jets owe Revis some cash from that massive deal—$6 million guaranteed remains—but they’re reportedly looking for a way around that.
The team has “done their homework” on getting out of the deal with the soon-to-be 32-year-old defensive back, according to Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.
Revis is under contract to make $13 million in 2017.
“A league source told The News that there's no clause in Revis' blockbuster five-year, $70 million contract that would allow the Jets to void the deal if the player is charged with a felony,” Mehta wrote. “That makes sense, of course, but what happens if Revis is ultimately disciplined (via suspension or fine) by the league?
“Could the team re-coup any of the guaranteed portion of his 2017 salary if he is found to have violated the league's personal conduct policy? The league source told The News that the Jets would have a solid case to recoup the $6 million if Revis is ultimately suspended… as long as he remains on the roster at the time of the disciplinary action.”
Long story short: don’t expect to see Darrelle Revis on the Jets’ roster in 2017.
Regardless of how his situation plays out in court and with the NFL, the New York organization seems to have made its mind up: they're done with Revis.