The New York International Auto Show starts this Friday (April 10th), and GM and Segway are expected to unveil a collaborative project that is essentially a two-person sit-down version of the Segway, everyone's favorite love-to-hate invention of the early 2000s. This new project, named P.U.M.A. (Personal Urban Mobility and Accessibility), is poised to take what's left of the 45 year-old and paid software development set by storm.
Let us not forget the storied history of the Segway, though! These things are awesome, from Cops running down gunmen to Arrested Development's Gob showing how an executive can make the lamest device in the world classy. Hit the jump for a brief history the Segway...
2002: THE FIRST SEGWAY GOES INTO PRODUCTION
• There's your dude, Dean Kamen. He's a New Hampshire tinkerer, who figured out a way to jam a bunch of gyroscopes into your scooter for a little less than $6,000. After its 2001 unveiling, the device is hyped beyond any reasonable sales goals and is going to "change the world we live in". The city of San Francisco, unfortunately, says "absolutely not," and bans the device from SF sidewalks. Other cities follow suit, giving the device a rocky start.
2003: ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT DEBUTS ON TELEVISION
• What does this have to do with the Segway? Gob's transportation of choice, of course. The Segway doesn't get much play until season two, but this show had a lot to do with reminding people that the machines existed, and that they could be awesomely bad. If you've never seen this, Netflix all three seasons now.
2006: WEIRD AL YANKOVIC - "YEAH THESE SUCK"
• When this guy disses you, there's nothing left. Or is there? You ridin' nerdy? Segway at 1:14.
2007: FAMOUS PEOPLE SHOW UP IN VIRAL VIDEOS ON THEM (50 CENT)
• Floyd Mayweather on 50 Cent: "Real recognize real. He's a real motherf***er, I'm a real motherf***er."
"He's got a Seggy, I've got a...wait, what the...get this dude out of here! Fuckin' rappers."
2007: FAMOUS PEOPLE SHOW UP IN VIRAL VIDEOS ON THEM (ALEXANDER OVECHKIN)
• Riding a Segeway, and no one knows who you are. Double fail at :28. Sorry Alex, you got to get on the PR tip.
2008: ANYONE CAN DO IT- MONKEY ON A SEGWAY
• And he looks just like me!
2008: OH WAIT. NOT ANYONE: SEGWAY FACEPLANT
• Wait for it. Waaaaait for ittttt...
2008: ESPECIALLY NOT YOUR KID
• Something about that sound that really makes you...want to watch this one twice.
2008: BUT YOU NEVER KNOW. IT MIGHT GET YOU LAID/FAMOUS PEOPLE ON SEGWAYS
• Well, probably not, actually.