In order to get a grasp on what's been happening in the first half of 2009, Complex will be dropping a different top 10 list each day this week, cataloging the best of the year in fashion, music, video games and movies. To kick things off, our editors picked The 10 Best Sneaker Drops of 2009 (So Far). Read on to see the list and find out what order we ranked them in. If you don't agree with our choices, check out www.blogspot.com and start your own blog to let the world know what you think. Or, just leave a comment to let us know your picks...
SNEAKER: COMMON PROJECTS SAFARI BOOT
• Common Projects isn't new, and neither is the Safari Boot, but the brand has been picking up steam and it's hitting hard in '09. If you can afford it, stockpile the myriad of materials that CP is bringing this year.
SNEAKER: AIR JORDAN V TORO BRAVO PACK
• Mess with the Bulls, you're gonna get the h...two pairs of Fives! One all-black 3M, one red suede. The weed dealer that lives in the apartment below you has these, so know these are solid and get a dope hood pass.
SNEAKER: COMMONWEALTH X REEBOK PUMP OMNI LITE
• These technically haven't dropped yet (another week or so), but Omar and his crew did such sick job re-interpreting the shop's first Pump, and these are even better.
SNEAKER: VANS X KICKS/HI "3 Feet High" Half Cab
• Hawaii is a hell of a place, and these sneakers boil it all down for you. Simple, relaxed, whatever you like. Perf suede = banger.
SNEAKER: NEW BALANCE MT580 GORE-TEX
RELEASE MONTH: MARCH
• The MT580 was a highly anticipated silhouette that we finally got to U.S. shores in late 2008. Since it's appeared at American retail, it's only gotten better, and this GORE-TEX version took it up another notch.
SNEAKER: NIKE DUNK HIGH NYLON
• There is a certain magazine that just killed it with a signature version of these, and the nylon Dunks should be one of your top acquisitions from late '08 up until now (they've released about 10 versions so far). If you've missed, there is still hope - a few colorways are set to drop for Fall so stay tuned.
SNEAKER: SUPRA TK SOCIETY
• Terry Kennedy stays killing it, and the Society comes in as one of the top sneakers for the first half of '09. Yeezy killers? Kennedy thinks so.
SNEAKER(s): CONVERSE SKATEBOARDING (CTS)
• The best thing Converse ever did was make the Chuck comfortable. With the new colorways of this coming for fall, rest assured that you will be plunking down the $55 at some point in the next 12 months.
SNEAKER: adidas CONSORTIUM 3-WAY NIZZA HIGH
• We first saw dope jersey material on adidas' collaboration with VA from the A to ZX series, and these take it to the next level. It took four shops (DQM, HUF, Goodfoot, and UNDFTD) to come up with these bangers, but it's hands down one of the best collabs of the first half of the year.
SNEAKER: NIKE AIR YEEZY
• We've never heard of these, but they look cool! Hate it or love it, but there hasn't been another sneaker with as much hype, news, and lining up as Kanye's signature release. #1, no matter what you have to say about it.