Donald Trump shows he's a viable candidate for president of the United States and a man of promise by following through with a threat to skip the next Republican debate. Trump previously threatened to skip a GOP debate back in October if CNBC didn’t meet his demands about the debate's format, ultimately winning in the end. Trump can afford to skip the debate because as he recently said he could go shoot somebody in the street and still keep his large voting fanbase, meaning he could do no wrong. Trump made the debate boycott official Tuesday.
Trump's ongoing feud with FOX News' Megyn Kelly is the reason that he's chosen to sit out the next debate, which she will be moderating. Trump took issue with Kelly after the first GOP debate after she called him out for his his sexist comments which he responded to with more sexist comments saying she must have been on her period. Ahead of Thursday's debate Trump has complained about Kelly being a moderator saying she's biased against him.
Trump turned to Twitter asking people to cast other kinds of votes. In a Twitter poll he asked whether or not he should participate in the GOP debate. As of this moment over 100,000 people have voted with 60 percent saying "Yes" he should participate. But Trump didn't wait for the poll results saying, "Let's see how much money Fox is going to make on the debate without me" at a press conference in Marshalltown, Iowa, according to the New York Times.
"It's time that somebody plays grownup," he added unironically. Trump's campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski echoed the announcement saying, "He will not be participating in the Fox News debate on Thursday" and that unlike the CNBC debacle "it's not under negotiation."
Trump said he would hold a fundraiser for wounded soldiers at the time of the debate instead.