Stories of Halloween candy being found with razor blades, needles, and even pills inside are one of the scariest parts of Halloween for kids and those who may no longer be kids but still trick-or-treat. As it happens every year, there were a few of these cases, but none has stood out like the tale of a Canadian pharmacy that accidentally gave trick-or-treaters antipsychotic medication.

According to the New York Post, the series of unfortunate events began to unfold at a Quebec City pharmacy when a customer dropped her son’s prescription for quetiapine and divalproex, medications for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, among other psychological illnesses, as she was leaving the store. The medication was picked up by another customer who put it too close to the candy on the counter. Somehow the seven individually wrapped pills were mixed with the candy being given to trick-or-treaters.

Const. Melissa Cliche told CBC News, “So, unfortunately, we don't know how, an employee just mixed it with the candy by accident and distributed it to the kids.” Although police said ingesting the pills wasn’t dangerous, the pills side effects reportedly included nausea, tremors, and suicidal thoughts.  

The pills were found before any children ate them. 

And this is why my paranoid parents always swapped out the candy I collected trick-or-treating for candy they bought on the sly. Thanks for keeping me alive, y’all. 

[via Huffington Post]