A man in eastern Maine was drinking while celebrating the Fourth of July in a friend's back yard when he made the unfortunate choice to try shooting fireworks off the top of his head on Saturday. 

The fireworks (a mortar tube, to be more specific) exploded and killed Devon Staples, 22, instantly, the Associated Press reports. 

Fireworks had been banned in the state since 1949 up until three years ago. The accident marks the first fireworks-related death since the state lifted that ban. 

Fireworks remain banned in New York, of course, which always draws complaints this time of year. But just remember, maybe the NYPD is trying to save you from your (drunk) self. 

54bXAwdjrFrVxoqhi5R4Aw1N0yRxf1Nr