Someone over at Waterstones, a UK book retailer, goofed and posted George R.R. Martin's original outline for the A Song of Fire and Ice series. The outline has since been taken down, but, because this is the Internet, the key differences between it and the final storyline will never be forgotten.
Thanks to Variety we have a rundown of what could have been a drastically different storyline. There are, however, some plot developments that haven't been ruled impossible. So be wary of potential spoilers. Here are the original story idea:
- Jon Snow falls in love with his half-sister, Arya Stark, who reciprocates his feelings. He still retains his celibacy pledge as a Night Watchmen, however.
- Robb Stark is killed on the battlefield while engaging with Joffrey. Joffrey is maimed, and his uncles, Jamie and Tyrion, deal that fatal blow to Robb. Tyrion then burns down Winterfall.
- Tyrion removes Joffrey from the crown, and Jamie Lannister kills everyone ahead of him so he can take the throne. Jamie then blames the murders on Tyrion and has him exiled.
- Tyrion crosses sides to join the Starks and help them defeat Jamie. It's there that he falls in love with Arya, creating a rivalry with Jon Snow.
- Daenerys kills Khal Drago to avenge the death of her brother, Viserys. She then flees into the wilderness, where she discovers the dragon eggs. Her war against Westeros is bumped up to second novel, and the final novel features a war against the Others with a climatic battle at the Wall.
- Sansa sells out her family, marries Joffrey, and has his son. Later on she regrets the decision.
- After Ned Stark's death Catelyn, Arya and Bran seek refuge at the Wall but are rejected by Jon Snow. Mance Rayder captures all three, and Catelyn is killed by an Other.
- Arya, Bran, Jon, Tyrion, and Daenerys are intended to be the five surviving characters.
Whew, that was like taking a dive into the Game of Thrones twilight zone.