Police in France reportedly detained and questioned an 8-year-old boy who communicated support for the two men responsible for killing 12 people at the Charlie Hebdo offices last week. 

According to the Associated Press, authorities have arrested dozens of people in attempts to diffuse terrorism since the attacks earlier this month. This move, however, seems a bit egregious: 

The boy declared The French must be killed. I am with the terrorists. The Muslims did well, and the journalists got what they deserved," Fabienne Lewandowski, deputy director for public security in the Alpes-Maritimes region, told BFM television. She said the child also refused to take part in the national minute of silence for the victims on Jan. 9.

The Associated Press said a school director filed a complaint against the child, a resident of Nice,  on Jan. 21. He was subsequently questioned the same day in the presence of his father and an attorney. 

Deputy Director for Public Safety Fabienne Lewandowski acknowledged the slight absurdity, but explained that authorities felt it was necessary given the circumstances.  "It's a shame that it happened in a formal questioning, but given what he said it was necessary to go further than usual," Lewandowski said.

[via Associated Press]