A carbon monoxide leak at a Long Island mall killed one man and poisoned 27 other people, officials say. 

According to the New York Times, emergency responders rushed to the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station after a woman fell and hit her head in the basement of Legal Seafood. A Panera Bread and Cheesecake Factory in the area were also evacuated, while the woman and Legal Seafood general manager, Steven Nelson, were taken to Huntington Hospital. Sadly, Nelson, 55, was pronounced dead on arrival.

Among the 27 others poisoned were three Suffolk County police officers and four first aid volunteers. They were all taken to five different hospitals in the area with non-life-threatening injuries. 

Legal Seafood announced that it was "profoundly saddened" by Nelson's death. Meanwhile, authorities are trying to determine whether an issue with the restaurant's heating system was the cause of the leak.

[via New York Times]