ComplexCon returns to Long Beach Nov. 6 - 7 with hosts J. Balvin and Kristen Noel Crawley, performances by A$AP Rocky and Turnstile, and more shopping and drops.
Secure your spot while tickets last!
Up until around the time Resident Evil 6 was released to the public in October of last year, Capcom could be heard talking about how horror needed to follow in the footsteps of Call of Duty to appeal to a broader audience, and that survival horror was a “niche” market that they just couldn’t cater such a behemoth of a franchise to any longer.
Now Capcom is changing their tune, in the wake of RE6’s abysmal reception from critics and players alike. The result is basically a complete 180 from how the developer envisioned the series in 2012, according to a recent story at MCV.
“We have obviously seen the consumer response and the PR response," former Capcom marketing boss Michael Pattison told MCV. (Pattinson has since left the company to join Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.)
While RE6 sold a combined five million units worldwide, it was two million short of projections. More to the point, the savaging it took with critics and fans has prompted Capcom to retool their focus for the inevitable RE7, which will reportedly return the series to its horror roots. So what happened to that being a niche market?
“[RE6] was a mixed bag,” Pattinson said. “We can’t ignore that.”
Check the full story at the link below.