The building was erected in 1899 in the style of an Italian Renaissance palazzo. The pink-grey granite façade was studded with the seals of 18 eastern colleges and universities and adorned with several mottos paying homage to the value of a proper education. The task to select the 18 schools was then sent to a committee in attempts to make the club’s membership more diversely representative.