It's that time of the year again, when the world's art elite descend upon Miami Beach for Art Basel, a week of art, partying, partying, a little sleep, partying, and some more art before everyone gets back on the plane. If you're down there, a must see this time around is The Oceanfront, located right on the beach at Collins Park between 21st and 22nd streets. It will feature outdoor installations highlighting Detroit, Glasgow, Berlin, and Mexico City, locales that curators have put at the forefront of the international art movement. The Design and Wynwood Districts of Miami will also be a hub of activity for the art-inclined this year, including the return of OHWOW's It Ain't Fair and The Wynwood Walls Project. The project is comprised of twelve wall murals by Shepard Fairey, Aiko, Jim Drain, Barry McGee, Ara Peterson, Clare Rojas, Kenny Scharf and David Ellis, among others. We've put together a full calendar starting tonight and going on through Saturday; keep reading to see the must-stops for both nightly parties and art fairs this week in Miami.
Basel un-officially kicked off last night with the Veuve Cliquot BBQ at the new Soho Beach House—the star of this year's festival. The private London-based members club will host some of the most coveted events of Art Basel Miami this year, including an exclusive dinner for Robert Mondavi and a private Chloe runway show of the U.K. fashion house's spring collection. The famed Parisian/Tokyo/New York night club Le Baron is also back this year with its pop-up club at the Florida Room underneath the Delano. This will be the spot to track down models, celebrities, and art world VIPs on a nightly basis. As for specific nights, here's where you should be sneaking in:
Tuesday, November 30th:
* SCOPE Art Fair first view: SCOPE is the largest and most global art fair in the world, and this year's Miami edition will feature emerging contemporary art from seven markets from around the world. This year the fair will celebrate its 10th anniversary, a new director, and the launch of its new iPhone application.
* Art Basel VIP Opening Party at W South Beach: The Art Basel Miami host committee welcomes its VIP guests tonight, get thee on a list.
* PULSE Miami VIP Opening Event at Ice Palace: PULSE Contemporary Art Fair is the leading US art fair dedicated solely to contemporary art. It's held annually in New York and Miami and bridges the gap between mainstream and alternative art fairs.
* Gaetano Pesce and MELISSA cocktail party at The Webster: Famed Italian Architect Gaetano Pesce will celebrate his collaboration with MELISSA shoes at a VIP cocktail reception at The Webster. Pretty ladies!
* Trey Speegle private dinner at The Townhouse Hotel by Bond St. Sushi: Benrimon Contemporary celebrates the exhibition of a new large work by the New York artist, Trey Speegle, a 8 Â½ x 18 foot mural inspired by a 1950s vintage paint-by-number panel of Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper" and featuring the words "IT'S LATER THAN YOU THINK."
Wednesday, December 1st:
* Art Basel Miami Beach Vernissage: The exclusive official opening of Art Basel Miami Beach. Go here for the art, and stay to watch the Miami collectors.
* Miguel Paredes National Gallery VIP Opening Reception: Miguel Paredes has transformed The National Hotel into to the Miguel Paredes National Gallery for the week. The opening reception will feature complimentary cocktails by Bombay Sapphire, beats by Buddha Bar DJ Sam Popat, and select works by Hernan Miranda.
* Art Loves Music: The former crew from Deitch Projects will host its annual concert to kick off Art Basel at the Oceanfront on Collins Park.
* DeLeon Tequila presents DJ Paul Oakenfold and DJ Ruckus at WALL at W South Beach. If you're looking to go nuts, this is one of many places to do it.
Thursday, December 2nd:
* FriendsWithYou: This arty Miami think tank is building a "Rainbow City" in the Design District, consisting of tree-size inflatable sculptures that recall a rave-ish Candy Land. Pharrell Williams performs with N.E.R.D. at night.
* Maison Martin Margiela VIP cocktail reception: Mr. Marg will celebrate Art Basel/Design Miami 2010 with its own exclusive art unveiling. The party will rock from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. and will include the U.S. debut of the brand's unique exhibit based on Maison Martin Margiela (20), a 20th anniversary celebration piece launched at the Antwerp Mode Museum (MoMu) in Belgium. It will remain on display in the store through January 2, 2011 just in case you don't get in.
* Patrick McMullan photo installation at Cafeina in Wynwood.
* Onitsuka Tiger will celebrate the "Year of the Tiger" with Steve Aoki at The Shore Club where it will be unveiling an art installation by Simone Legno. The party is from 9-11pm in the lobby and the after party is at The Skybar.
Friday, December 3rd:
* Bentley will be hosting a private champagne reception and lunch to celebrate the new Bentley Mulsanne. Raul Pires, Bentley's Chief Designer, will host the intimate event at The Wolfsonian.
* ASSOULINE, ART GAME SHOW: Van Cleef & Arpels celebrates the launch of Art Game Book, hosted by Peter Tunney at the Delano.
Saturday, December 4th:
* SPiN, MOCA, and Susan Sarandon host the Art Star Ping Pong Tournament at the Delano: Um, can you say cool guy/art world shitshow? This tournament for artists, spinsters, and ping pong enthusiasts will also host the unveiling of a ping pong table by Tom Burr with a rubber table top produced by Nathalie Karg/Cumulus Studios. This is going to be awesome.
* Chloe Fashion Show at Soho Beach House