Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow; Staten Island Chuck didn't. Who cares. Spring or no spring, we're gonna be camped out in front of our television tonight watching one of the most highly-anticipated season premieres of all time. We've also got an ass-kickin' classic, a little history, and winter baseball, all in today's edition of the Complex TV Picks of the Day...
DRAMA: LOST FINAL SEASON PREMIERE, ABC, 9 PM EST
• What, you'd prefer to watch American Idol? If you don't think ABC's dark Gilligan's Island-with-a-Dickensian twist is dope, dig this: even folks who've watched every episode five times aren't entirely sure exactly what's going on—and they still watch. If Grandma keeps bitchin' about Idol, just double her dosages and tell her it got canceled.
HIGH-BROW: NOVA: GHOSTS OF MACHU PICCHU, PBS, 8 PM EST
• While Lost is doing its recap episode, head over to PBS and get your mind right with this in-depth archaeological investigation of the "Lost City of the Incas." Yes, the water cooler talk is still going to be Lost-centric tomorrow morning, but toss in a line about ancient Peruvian burial grounds and maybe you score points with that fine new intern from Wesleyan. Or maybe you sound really smug and out of touch (hey, nothing in life is guaranteed).
MOVIE: ROAD HOUSE, CMT, 8 PM EST
• You may have Country Music Television blocked on your cable box; if so, the ghost of Patrick Swayze is gonna come down from heaven and give your box a whooping. And yes, we can say stuff like "Give your box a whooping," because we know Pat, and he's on our side.
SPORTS: CARIBBEAN SERIES, MEXICO VS. VENEZUELA, MLB NETWORK, 7:30 PM EST
• The four teams in the Caribbean Series (in addition to Mexico (Naranjeros de Hermosillo) and Venezuela (Leones del Caracas), Puerto Rico (Indios de Mayaguez) and the Dominican Republic (Leones del Escogido) send squads to the annual round robin, held this year on Margarita Island in Venezuela) feature a smattering of MLB talent, but that's not really the reason to watch tonight—it's live, competitive baseball in the first week of February for Roberto Clemente's sake. Grab a sixer of Pacifico, throw the thermostat on "sub-tropical," kick back, and enjoy.
COMEDY: MALCOLM IN THE MIDDLE "STUPID GIRL," NICKELODEON, 8 PM EST
• Guilty pleasure alert. Malcolm dumbs down like older brother Reese to get with a hot airhead, but the real reasons we watch MITM are for the dad, Hal (Bryan Cranston), and little bro Dewey (Erik Per Sullivan—yo what the eff happened to that dude?).
• CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE COMPLEX TV POSTS!