Hennessy might easily be one of the most iconic liquors of our time: Nearly everybody (who's old and responsible enough, of course) drinks the stuff in some way. Recently, Ron Artest was quoted as saying that he used to have a sip or two during halftime while he was playing for the Bulls. Talk about being a spirited player!
For those who don't know, John Hennessy started making the cognac in France back in 1765 with deliveries to the United States beginning 29 years later, and musicians, actors, and even political leaders have been sippin' it ever since. In 1971, Hennessy merged with Moet & Chandon, then subsequently merged with Louis Vuitton to become LVMH (basically everything hip-hop spends their dough on in one group). Let us take a look at how pop culture has respected their conglomerate...
BRUCE LEE'S DRINK OF CHOICE
• In his 1971 flick The Big Boss, Bruce Lee's character, Cheng, sips on Hennessy when he's not kicking someone's ass. Yup, we drink Henny between ass-kickings, too. Unfortunately it's not us doing the kicking.
HUMPTY HUMP STEALS YOUR HENNY
• On Digital Underground's 1990 smash "The Humpty Dance," Shock G proclaims "I'll drink up all the Hennessy you got on your shelf." We knew he had to be under the influence when he got busy in that Burger King bathroom.
USED AS NAZI BAIT IN SCHINDLER'S LIST
• Hennessy was portrayed in this 1993 film as a luxury item. During WWII, Oscar Schindler bribed the Nazis with Hennessy, as well as other luxury items to get them to sign production contracts with his factory. Business deals with Hennessy, not a bad idea...
THE RISE OF THUG PASSION
• After Tupac Shakur coined the term, this mixture of Hennessy and fruity Alizé became the go-to drink in '90s hip-hop circles, popping up in lyrics by everyone from Nas to Master P. A few sips of the concoction, and you'll be on your way to being as inebriated as your favorite rapper gets during studio sessions gone awry.
HENNESSY X OBAMA
• To commemorate the inauguration of America's first African-American president, the good folks over at Hennessy produced a limited edition bottle with a black label and the date of his inauguration. The proceeds from the sales went to the Thurgood Marshall College Fund. Get drunk and put a kid through school. Now that's change we can believe in!
HOW KERI HILSON GETS HAPPY
• In the August/September issue of Complex, Miss Keri talked about how she and her college buddies created Happy Juice, which is a mixture of Henny and Apple Juice. Keri also has a song with the same name. Keri + Happy Juice = a great night!
DOO WOP FEAT. MR. CHEEKS AND "NOREAGA HENNY & COKE"
• These guys re-purpose the "Gin and Juice" beat to create an ode to yet another classic drink combo. This song should be in a Henny ad. We'd buy!
KIM JONG IL, THE HENNESSY CONNOISSEUR
• The North Korean dictator apparently has a penchant for the cognac, and reportedly buys a certain type of it that costs $650 a bottle. He's also one of Hennessy's number one customers, purchasing upwards of $720,000 a year on the stuff. Lesson: When the stress of being a dictator becomes too much, turn to a glass of Hennessy!
MAVADO'S "MI HENNESSY"
• Something about blood running like his Hennessy. We don't fully comprehend the lyrics, but the Hennessy shoutout was cool, so...
KANYE AT THE 2009 VMA'S
• ...and the rest is history. Now you know why you shouldn't get fucked up before the awards!