Illustration by xnideax
In his weekly column, rapper John Brown—the self-proclaimed "King Of Da Burbz"—will be offering his insight into politics and current events to the Complex readers. Check out "Politickin With John Brown" every Thursday.
Although Obama received enormous support as a candidate, there have always been skeptics from all political sides who question who he truly represents. Now that he's officially running shit, there's been growing chatter that he is in fact a member of the infamous "Illuminati."
What exactly is this murky secret society, casually mentioned by baked college students, self-educated street sages and Ted Kaczynski sympathizers? In brief, this behind-the-scenes clique is apparently filled with government and corporate puppet-masters, intent on manipulating elections and controlling the media as a way to enact the "New World Order". Sounds pretty lame, right? Well I tried to ignore the choir of criticism, but it keeps reappearing in public dialogue. So it's only fair to review some of these more high-profile accusations against the Pres...
<span tabindex="-1" contenteditable="false"></span>
#5: OBAMA FLASHES THE "SATAN SIGNAL"
• In quite possibly the most absurd—yet most circulated—form of evidence, various forums and websites have zeroed in on Obama throwing up the "Satan Signal". The extensive archive of other suspected Illuminati members flashing the same sign is used as evidence to link Barack to their cruel organization. For me, it merely dilutes the significance of this particular hand gesture and portrays these theorists as fringe crackpots.
#4: OBAMA BOWS TO SAUDI KING
• Many commentators, journalists and conspiracy theorists were aghast at Obama's diplomatic chess game on his recent trip abroad. Nothing seemed to stir critics up more than his deep bow to Saudi King Abdullah. At the least it was an act of embarrassing subservience unprecedented for a sitting American President. At the worst, it was further proof that the lanky kid from Oahu was really an agent of evil—eager to show his loyalty to draconian monarchs.
#3: PRODIGY ACCUSES JAY-Z OF BEING AN ILLUMINATI SYMPATHIZER
• On Halloween of last year, URB magazine posted a letter sent by Prodigy that accused "J.Z." of being an accomplice to the Illuminati by cozying up to members of the sinister elite. So is Obama guilty by association? His public alignment with Jay-Z was highlighted when he figuratively brushed the dirt of his shoulders during the campaign. It's deeper than rap.
#2: LORD JAMAR SPARKS THE OBAMA ILLUMINATI DEBATE ON TWITTER
• Now Lord Jamar and I have a well-documented history of philosophical differences. So I was curious when he informed his twitter followers about a controversial documentary making rounds on the web called "The Obama Deception". Agree or disagree, it's fairly interesting to watch (see it here).
#1: KRS-ONE FREESTYLES ABOUT OBAMA'S ILLUMINATI TIES
• It's the Commander-in-Chief vs. The Teacher and the blast-master definitely got bars for Barack. Here he goes off the dome to offer his opinion of Obama and how public opinion is manipulated. Hip Hop History at its finest.