In his weekly column, rapper John Brown'the self-proclaimed "King Of Da Burbz"'will be offering his insight into politics and current events to the Complex readers. Check out "Politickin With John Brown" every Thursday.
It's funny how money changes a situation. My beautiful home state, Cali'which also disturbingly houses more inmates per capita than anywhere in the world'is having a soul searching experience. Now that the chips are down, Governor Schwarzenegger has his weed carriers praising pot heads throughout the state in the hopes of a lucrative extortion scheme. Kudos.
In fact, I actually proposed this idea in an earlier blog on this site, and it's encouraging to see that our legislators have responded accordingly. But strong-arming stoners can only generate so much cash. Let's look at some additional options to revive Cali's bank account...
4. DEPUTIZE GANGS TO POLICE THEIR NEIGHBORHOODS
• Way too much money is spent on so-called "law-enforcement" services, which seems to only lead to penitentiary upgrades. Deputizing gangs would not only provide jobs but could reduce citizen assassinations, like that of Oscar Grant (RIP).
3. SELL SOME LAND BACK TO MEXICO
• Are we still salty over the Mexican-American war? Really? Face it, we need the money now more than ever and the exchange rate is more favorable than in 1848. We could sell them everything below Fresno and call it a day.
2. CLOSE SOME PRISONS
• Now I understand that if we close some prisons, Halliburton and other private companies who have nothing but the public good in mind will unfortunately lose some contract money. Tragic? Absolutely. But considering that taxpayers spend about $45K annually to jail someone, it seems like we could use that money for, ugh, I don't know, schools? And just this month, federal judges demanded that Cali reduce its prison population by 40 percent, due to unconstitutional health conditions. It's a win/win!