Megan Thee Stallion is promising she’s “still in court” with 1501 Certified Entertainment CEO Carl Crawford, as her legal team filed a petition last week asking for her 2021 effort Something for Thee Hotties to be considered an album under their recording agreement.
In court documents obtained by Complex and filed on Friday, Megan’s legal team at Holland & Knight claimed 1501 didn’t classify the 21-track Something for Thee Hotties as an “album,” and that the label said it didn’t satisfy her “minimum recording commitment.” Meg’s lawyers now say that, given the label’s argument, “1501 wants to tie [Megan Thee Stallion] down to release more albums under the Contract to the financial benefit of 1501.”
“Contrary to 1501’s position, Something for Thee Hotties clearly meets the definition of ‘Album’ under the recording agreement because it is not less than forty-five (45) minutes in length,” the suit claims. “There are no other parameters or requirements under the contract for what can be deemed an ‘Album’ other than total run time of the album. As such, Something for Thee Hotties satisfies her ‘Minimum Recording Commitment’ for the second option period of the agreement. To protect herself, her music, and her artistic choices, Pete has been forced to bring this action to seek a declaratory judgment to that effect.”
A source told Complex that Megan owes one more album on her contract if Something for Thee Hotties gets counted as an album.
On Tuesday, Crawford took to Instagram, sharing a headline from AceShowbiz about Meg filing a request to dismiss a lawsuit against the label and J. Prince. Crawford wrote that “Only the real 🤘🏾town can relate.”
“Now tell em to run my bread dating all the way back from 2018,” he captioned the photo.
The article Crawford posted points out that the “WAP” artist filed a request to dismiss a lawsuit specifically over her allegedly not being able to release music, as Meg shared a since-deleted screenshot of his post to Instagram. She also put up a few IG Stories of her own, writing that Crawford “never know wtf is going on with business.” As Meg reveals, that suit was resolved given that she did eventually release music.
“The case that was dismissed against you was from when you wasn’t trying to let me drop music,” Meg shared. “You and 300 signed off and let me drop music so there is no case no more… We are most definitely STILL IN COURT and YOU STILL GETTING SUED BECAUSE YOU OWE ME MONEY!!! I AINT NEVER BEEN PAID BY 1501 IN MY LIFE ! I make money bc I’m MEGAN THEE STALLION! Grown ass men wanna bully me and eat off my name and paint me out as a villain online bc they know these bandwagon ass haters gone eat that shit up ! I don’t even be saying shit to you lame ass n***as bc the TRUTH always comes out.”
Meg continued on her Stories, revealing that “mfs pick with me then when I say something im the problem, FUCK ALL YALL.”
“This mf got my accomplishments in that bio and aint contributed to shit SINCE 2018, NOT A STUDIO TIME, NOT A MUSIC VIDEO, NOT A WORD OF ENCOURAGEMENT, shit not even a flight,” Megan wrote. “But you trying to eat off me AND PICK WITH ME ONLINE.”
Following news of the lawsuit, Carl Crawford took to Instagram and denied that his label is “bullying” anyone.
He also said the lawsuit is a way of silencing him.
Megan Thee Stallion’s dispute with 1501 has been going on for a few years now, when she claimed in March of 2020 that 1501 was preventing her from dropping new music. She had since asked a judge to throw out the contract, and argued 1501 was lying about the services it would provide her.