Per initial on-the-ground updates from reporter Nancy Dillon, Judge David V. Herriford of the Superior Court of Los Angeles County first heard almost an hour of arguments regarding social media activity from Lanez, with the ultimate determination being that some of the artist’s tweets “seem to be clear messages” directed at Megan. Lanez was found to have violated a protective order, and more, with a new bail reported to have been set at $350,000.
Dillon later reported that Lanez’s bail was posted and that the rapper was in the process of being released from custody.
A trial start date is currently scheduled for Sept. 14. As previously reported, Tuesday marked the rescheduled date for a postponed pre-trial hearing in the case.
Back in February, Megan Thee Stallion—who recently took to the Oscars stage for an Encanto-celebrating performance—shut down a court hearing-related claim which had started making the rounds on social media at the time.
“Y’all got breaking news 15 minutes before court started and nobody has even been called in yet??” Megan said when addressing an ultimately deleted tweet from DJ Akademiks. “Y’all tryna win a social media campaign this is MY REAL LIFE! Y’all tryna get retweets SPREADING FALSE NARRATIVES!”
Speaking more generally about how easily such claims are able to spread, Megan pointed out that “nobody even cares to read.” Frequent Megan collaborator LilJuMadeDaBeat later echoed these remarks, saying in a tweet that social media had “made y’all dumb af.”
Amid the controversy, a rep for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement to Complex that the office was “under an ethical duty to only proceed on charges” they believe can be proved beyond reasonable doubt, though they are not legally able to comment on specific evidence.
The above-referenced moment didn’t mark the first instance of quickly refuted claims circulating about the case. Last year, for example, it was falsely stated on social media that charges had been dropped.