Earlier this week, it was reported that U.K. authorities were investigating Nelly for an alleged sexual assault that took place in late 2017. The news arrived more than four months after the rapper was arrested on suspicion of rape in Washington state—a case that was eventually closed after the alleged victim, Monique Greene, reportedly refused to cooperate with authorities.
Nelly has since filed a lawsuit against Greene and has denied all allegation of sexual misconduct. The 43-year-old rapper doubled down on his defense at LAX this week, suggesting the media was also hindering his attempt to clear his name.
“I’m gon’ respond like I’ve always responded from day one: I’m innocent,” he told TMZ on Wednesday.
When asked if he was getting fair treatment amid all the controversy, Nelly responded: “When my charges got dropped I don’t think that made as much headlines as my accuser.”
So, we’ll take that as a “no.”
But when asked if he thought hooking up with fans was a good idea, his reply seemed less certain: “I don’t know about that.”
You can check out the full exchange up top.
Nelly’s attorney Scott Rosenblum has continued to accuse Nelly’s alleged victims of lying, suggesting money was their main motivation.
“These allegations arose after Ms. Green [sic] amended her suit for money to include a reference to these claims,” the lawyer told TMZ in regards to the U.K. investigation. “Nelly is confident that once investigated, these claims will be determined to be disingenuous […] Nelly was accompanied by his girlfriend during this tour and she was at his side throughout. It is important that police investigate every allegation of this nature.”